3.05.2010

Back in town....

We took a red eye back from San Francisco, leaving at 11pm and getting into Ann Arbor at 7AM. I'm not really sure where the separation between Thursday and Friday was over the past 24 hours - I felt like I was doing a Floor routine 5 minutes ago in California, and now I'm staring at my computer screen with that thick feeling between your eyes that comes with fatigue. And somehow, the day's only just begun....

Gymnastics is like an accelerated version of my creative process as an artist, I've come to realize. Much the same way this semester has been a roller coaster in studio, this past week was a roller coaster of its own in the gym. I went from highs - hitting my floor and vault routines in our meet against Stanford - to lows - our team losing by 9 points - back to highs - earning my first (and likely only) Big Ten Gymnast of the Week honor, and landing my harder vault in practice - back to lows - falling on the next 5 vaults in a row, botching a floor routine, and finding myself unable to vault decently at all on Thursday.

I have days where I'm "on" with my gymnastics and days where I'm "off." The same happens with art making. I set goals in gymnastics on a day to day basis, much the same way I set weekly goals in studio. Some aspects of my training are rigid, while others are organic and spontaneous (just like art making, etc etc, you get the idea).

Successes and failures come with each, but I feel like in Gymnastics these come at the speed of lightning, while in art they come like the slow movements of the tides.

Enough writing. Can you tell I'm loopy and just rambling on? Hopefully I'll get into studio later today, check on everything, and get back to the grind... once I wake up a little more....

No comments: