11.08.2009

3D Sketches





Quick Maya rough mockups of Diorama 4. Dioramas 5-7 will probably come later today (at least number 6) but I am still making some content choices on 5 and 7. These 3D sketches will probably help with that, though....

My two biggest obstacles with my two current dioramas in progress are:

1: Lighting. I still need a better understanding of electricity, wiring a circuit in parallel rather than in series, and a knowledge of resistors so that I can hook a 3V LED to a 12V circuit and not destroy the light.

2: Side panels: With the staircase and the forest, I have a pretty clear vision of the background panel and what that painting looks like to blend in with the 3D environment. But I don't know what to do with the side panels... do I treat it like a stage and just leave them out or paint them a solid color? Do I paint an extension of the environment into them as well? Since they aren't primarily seen when viewing the dioramas, and since perspective can get wacky when viewing 3D and 2D elements from a strange angle, I'm still struggling with how to handle them....

1 comment:

evg said...

Looking good! Don't be afraid to try some non-box-like solutions to the sides/edges question--think blur, fragment, fade, extend, suggest. Maybe a part of the diorama extends out but not the rest to suggest continuation rather than enclosure...